Jan 19, 2014

Time on the "Left"

Not all art "work" is right brained. Nope...sometimes it's incredibly left brained. Ouch!!
Being in the art field is not always about "painting pretty pictures". Nope. Sometimes it's about all the actual research and details that need doing if you are in fact doing it as a "business".
I love doing my art, but have hopes and dreams of making it a much bigger thing than it is already.
Of course..."hopes and dreams" won't make it happen!!
In order to do that I need to invest left brain time.

Sadly...this is not the stuff that I can post pretty pictures of that the "fan page" followers enjoy seeing. This "stuff" means doing inventory spreadsheets, keeping records, creating new marketing materials such as brochures - postcards - business cards, website updates, sending emails, networking, and lots of research into the directions I'm trying to go and the opportunities available.
I have high hopes of taking on more teaching possibilities and looking at some unique directions in doing this.
Sometimes it's a wonder that an artist can get any artwork done at all.

Sooo...if you do see stretches of time where I don't post up those lovely shots of the newest paintings and you are wondering if I'm even doing anything.....I just want you to rest assured that I am. It just happens to be coming from the other half of my brain...and you don't want pics of that...trust me...lol

4 comments:

cathy parmelee said...

i might. b/c i certainly admire both sides of your brain!!

WW said...

Awww...thanks Cathy. I have to admit the left side is getting a bit tired...lol

Unknown said...

So true, and then there is all the prep work and finishing work, for me hours of ironing and sewing, not sure where it fits in the brain scheme but not what most folks feel are"creative", but neccesary!

WW said...

Val...I know what you mean. There is so much "behind the scenes" activity that goes on that nobody knows about. Most people only see the end result.
Your prep and detail work could almost fall into "left" brain too because it's the "must do" part to make all that beautiful creative part come to life.