Nov 13, 2010

My Contribution

After my Torn Paper Painting of the Koi appeared as a full front page on one of the local newspapers I received a request from the local Historical Society. Last year they ran a fundraising auction called "Palette Pictures" and many local artists had done a painting for this on an actual wooden palette. I hadn't heard of this event before, but sounded wonderful.

I was told they would again be holding the auction, Palette Pictures II, but the art would be created this time on a 5"x7" canvas. Seems that my koi had sparked an interest and they decided to contact me to see if I'd be willing to create something for them.

Every year I do a number of pieces for fundraisers of one sort or another as I can fit them in. Feels good to give back.
So, I took on the task.

I wanted a piece that would be directly connected to the area. Since I'm usually geared toward the coastal scenes...one of our delightful little lighthouses came to mind, the Borden Flats Light. If my research is correct, it started it's working life in 1881.
This was such fun to work on. So much history.

The city had also been know back then for the Old Fall River Cruise Line.
I was lucky enough to run into some darling little vintage looking cruise images which I gave a sepia coloring to and have added them to the base of the lighthouse. When viewed without knowing it is actually quite subtle...but there.

I will deliver this piece next week and am hopeful that someone will want to take it home to enjoy!

 

8 comments:

Nancy Laliberte said...

I love the image and history to it. It is amazing how pieces can come to life with those bits of paper.

WW said...

Hi Nancy. Thanks for stopping by again.
Yes...I enjoyed getting into the history of this one. I could have written soo much more...lol Least I learned a little while creating :)
Sometimes just the right papers come along to tie the whole thing together. GLad you like it :)

sharon said...

This is so incredible Wanda! It is gorgeous, and the sepia people are genius! You really know how to capture the feeling.

Terri Kahrs said...

Wanda, I'm sure that this beautiful piece is going to be one of the auction's highlights. Fabulous!!! Love the way you've researched and added those sepia tones. Hugs, Terri xoxo

WW said...

Thank you for your sweet comments. I really enjoyed making this one. So glad you like it too.

Astrid Maclean said...

Wanda I am totally in awe of what you create, this piece is amazing!! I love all the little details created with the vintage ephemera, stunning! I am sure it will be the highlight of the auction!

Muckypup said...

Your stuff is gorgeous - I for one would be happy to have it hanging in my home.

WW said...

A big thank you and ((hug)) to each of you.
Your lovely comments make my day!