May 8, 2017

Creativity abounds

I love when I unexpectedly find myself surrounded by creativity.
Just recently I went away for a weekend with my husband to Vermont. We were to stay with friends one night, then tour around a bit and spend a second evening at a lovely B&B, the Henry Farm Inn.
The plan for that second day had us heading to the town of Chester. After driving through numerous barely there little towns...Chester was an unexpected and very pleasant surprise. Yes...still small, but just big enough to have charm oozing from the quaint shops and darling homes. It had a lovely little "common" area. We parked there and strolled about the shops. What I saw in one shop, a fabric store called Country Treasures, would have put to shame any large "chain" fabric store anywhere!!! Never in my life had I seen such variety, and because it was housed in what would have been a "home" otherwise, it rambled on from room to room. No surprise to me there were many ladies in this store having the time of their life.
Along with a great bookstore there was another sweet shop I discovered called Country on the Commons. I found the most beautiful shawl there made by the owner herself, Sharon. What a delightful lady...and such beautiful work. I thought right away..."if I lived here I just know we'd become friends". 
My husband and I then had a nice cup of tea at the Moon Dog Cafe and made plans to have dinner later that evening at the local Scottish pub. Yes...a Scottish pub!!
Once at the B&B I believe we discovered the ladies who had been enjoying a grand afternoon at the fabric store. Most of the inn was taken over by an amazingly talented group of quilting ladies!! Turns out that they gather together every year for a week of quilting & creativity and from what we saw, a lot of wonderful laughter. What a pleasure it was to meet them and hear about their time and their work. Each of them were thrilled to show us all the beautiful creations they'd been working on. Wow.
Looking at all this beautiful quilt work actually reminded me of my Torn Paper Paintings, only in fabric. The details and accuracy that went into creating these works of art were quite impressive.
These ladies were working when we went to bed in the evening and already back at it first thing in the morning.
Traveling, even for just a short weekend trip can present you with such fun and amazing surprises.
Keep your eyes and mind open. Meet new people and enjoy new experiences.
Whenever you can....travel.



No comments: